At some point in your life, you’ve probably experienced a toothache. The discomfort can range from mild to unbearable, depending the cause of your tooth pain. Understanding the factors behind a toothache can help you prevent future occurrences and protect your smile.
1. True or False: Tooth discomfort can be a warning sign.
2. True or False: Ignoring an ache can lead to infection.
3. True or False: Multiple factors can cause tooth pain.
4. True or False: Dr. Young can repair a cavity with a tooth-colored filling.
1. True. Often, pain in our teeth or gums is a signal that something is wrong. Oral discomfort can be a warning sign of cavities, gingivitis or gum disease, and even oral cancer. If you experience an ache that lasts for more than 48 hours, please contact Dr. Michael Young right away for a thorough examination and diagnosis.
2. True. If you have a cavity and ignore the early warning signs, the bacteria can continue to spread into your teeth, eventually reaching the inner pulp. A bundle of living tissue, the pulp keeps your teeth healthy and alive. Once infected, the pulp can die and your tooth will require a root canal or possibly even an extraction to protect surrounding teeth from infection.
3. True. Poor oral hygiene is one of the most common causes of toothaches. However, other factors include sinus infections, food caught between teeth, and even trauma. Chips and fractures, which can often be nearly invisible to the naked eye, can also cause discomfort.
4. True. If a cavity is behind your aching teeth, what can be done? In most cases, Dr. Young will simply recommend a filling. Placing a filling begins with the removal of decay from the tooth and a thorough cleaning. Then, a composite material, shaded to match your remaining tooth structure, will be placed inside the tooth and cured with a special light. Once complete, the filling will return your smile to full function and health.
About Your Lafayette, LA Dentist
To find out more about improving oral health or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Michael Young, contact us at (337) 237-6453. We welcome residents of Lafayette, Broussard, Youngsville, Scott, Breaux Bridge, and neighboring cities.